Thursday, June 27, 2013

A Tea Cup Confession & Tutorial

Each cup of tea represents an imaginary voyage.  ~Catherine Douzel

The Confession

 I have something to tell you, Reader.  I began throwing tea parties in part to justify the size and breadth of my tea cup collection. Yep. You read that right. My love of the tea party began with a love of the tea cup.



I'm one of those crazy women--not the weird cat lady kind (although I do have a cat)--but rather a textbook example of the I-collect-this-one-thing-obsessively variety.

So, what does one do when one collects something obsessively? In my case, she takes those things to the county fair to try to win a blue ribbon. (Which they did!) That's right.  Some people go to the fair for lemon shake-ups, elephant ears and the tractor pull.  I found out they had a hobbies division and went for the chance to share my love of fine china. Go ahead, you can laugh. (My little darlings may go back to the fair next year in a bid to reclaim their title of champion china collection.)


I began collecting tea cups in 2005, while at an estate auction for the first time.  Rummaging through stalls full of boxes in a historic saddlebred barn, I came across a pair of old china storage containers so dusty, I couldn't tell what color they once were.  Inside were over 15 different English bone china tea cup patterns--mostly in excellent condition.  

They immediately sparked my imagination. What was life like when people used these gorgeous tea cups everyday? How many wonderful moments and intimate conversations were they a part of? 

I found the matching saucers on the other side of the barn and paired them up just in time for the auction bidding. Smitten with their delicate, translucent smoothness and intricate designs, I outbid 2 very scowley ladies to take home 12 designs for $5 each. 



Thus began my obsession with finding tea cups everywhere.  English bone china, Japanese Nippon, Bavarian hand-painted, lusterware, glass or modern reproduction--I appreciate them all (though, space constraints make me quite discerning in what I actually buy).  So, when the chance came to put my tea cups out on a beautifully-set table to share with some of my favorite ladies, I was again smitten.


The Tutorial

So, why share my tea cup neurosis? Why, because the tea cup is the fulcrum around which your tea party turns. Other than food, guests, and tea (of course), the tea cup is the only non-negotiable item (unless you're hosting an Iced Tea--more on this later).  If Grandmother happened to leave you a gorgeous set of china w/matching cups, you're already good to go.  If not, such sets (or just the cups & saucers themselves) are easily found for very little money at Goodwill, garage sales, estate auctions, flea markets and antique malls.

If you're like me and prefer a variety of patterns on your table, you can also find individual sets in those same venues. A note for the budget-conscious: you may spend a little more when purchasing tea cup sets individually.  Also, keep in mind if you opt to pick up sets piecemeal that considerably more time is involved in amassing enough cups you love for a large party.  



Tea Cup Basics

  • Be choosy. My advice is pick patterns you really like.  There's little point in keeping china that you don't love. 
  • Check for cracks and chips before you purchase.When examining a set you are considering buying, hold it (and the saucer!) up under a light to make sure there aren't any major issues or signs of patching. Small cracks & blemishes don't automatically rule out a set for me, but as I buy tea cups with occasional use in mind, they need to be structurally up to the task. Besides, you don't want to get home and realize you bought a stinker--returning it can prove problematic. 
  • Select according to your clean-up preference. The majority of antique & vintage tea cups are not dishwasher or microwave-safe, so if hand-washing every fragile set is not your thing, stick to more durable, modern designs. 

There is a tea cup out there for every style of entertaining--you just have to find the one that works best for you. Whichever you choose, your guests will be charmed by these beautifully-designed vessels and with each sip, they'll savor the feeling of being transported back to a time when afternoon tea was as much an art form as it was high fashion.


Quote courtesy of Quote Garden.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment