Friday, October 11, 2013

All Kinds Of Cozy: A Note on the English Tea Cosy & Where to Snag One for Your Tea Table

Tea at the Farm in October

I don't want any trouble. I just wanna be alone and quiet in a room with a chair and a fireplace and a tea cozy. I don't even know what a tea cozy is. But I want one. --Buffy The Vampire Slayer

The Tea Cozy. Or, if you prefer the English spelling: the Tea Cosy. What is it? And why the heck do you need one for your next tea party? 

So very glad you asked, Reader! According to Cambridge Dictionaries Online, a tea cosy is a thick covering, like a hat, that is put on a teapot to keep the tea warm. A sensible, functional definition, to be sure. But such a utilitarian description hardly does justice to the clever artistry employed, the consummate knitting/sewing skills involved or the breadth of design you will find available in tea cosies today. Like the teacup, the tea cosy has transcended its original usefulness to become an object of art & warmth we can enjoy every day.

Documented use of the tea cosy on English tea tables dates back to the late 1800's when afternoon tea became all the rage. Englishwomen (and men) of old needed something to keep their teapots warm while they visited. Thus the first tea cosies were born. In the generations since, many designs have become more sophisticated, employing better-insulated materials. But the classic, knitted tea cosy is still a popular choice on many a modern girl's tea table. 

I have to confess, Reader. Having ogled dozens and dozens of handmade tea cosies on Etsy recently, I'm partial to the English knitted ones. It hurts to admit, but the selection of tea cosies made by my American counterparts often just can't compete with the dense, woolly-loveliness and simple craftsmanship available across the pond. I couldn't help thinking what a delightful edition these charming cosies would make to our own tea tables!

That being said, I was a little nervous about ordering something from a crafter overseas. The price range for English tea cosies on Etsy was quite broad: anywhere from $12.50 to $90, with most in the $23-$45 range. This seemed a little pricey to me, especially with shipping tacked on. And I'm not well-versed in international shipping costs, customs fee, etc. Some of the vendor shipping policies I read seemed murky and difficult to interpret. 

But then I came across BlueShedCrafts and the delightful Rachael Barman. Rachael's tea cosies are as gorgeously-knitted as any I saw on Etsy and her prices are much more affordable. She accepts custom color orders as well. Even better, Rachael's shipping policy is simple, straight-forward and inexpensive. I ordered the cosy below for my fall tea table and was beyond delighted with the quality of the item, speed of shipment and Rachael's professional and timely communication.

Tea with Cat?
 If an authentic English tea cosy is a must-have for your next tea party or for the tea aficionado in your life, Reader, I highly recommend shopping BlueShedCrafts and other vendors on Etsy. May I also suggest ordering soon for delivery in time for the holidays.

Quote courtesy of IMDb.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment